18 April 2009

Brian Wilson

Back in November of 2008, I went to my second Brian Wilson concert. The first time I saw him was back when he premiered "Smile" in Minneapolis. Well, OK, the US premiere.

I have been lucky to take both of my kids to see Brian Wilson now. My older daughter went to Smile, and my younger one came to the "That Lucky Old Sun" show. Wife and an old friend from Ann Arbor were there, too, which made it even more fun (both had missed the "Smile" show).

Oh, and I bought a ticket for my sister to go see the show in Ann Arbor, just a few nights before the show we saw here in Minnesota. I felt really happy to send her to the show!

So here's the set list:

Set One:
Marcella
I Get Around
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
"That Lucky Old Sun," in its entirety.

Set Two:
California Girls
Surfer Girl
All Summer Long*
Please Let Me Wonder
Add Some Music to Your Day*
She's Not the Little Girl I Once Knew*
Do You Wanna Dance
Do It Again
Sail On, Sailor

Encore:
Johnny B Goode*
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love & Mercy

*songs I was pleasantly surprised to hear included in the set list

It was a terrific show. If I have one complaint about Brian's band, it's that they get pretty loud and tend to stay there...and then turn up to eleven to finish the songs. I mean, come on, you don't have to have EVERYONE in the band hit the last note of each song. But what they lack in pastel subtlety they make up in proficiency...not to mention making Brian feel good enough to record a great new project like TLOS!

I see he's scheduled some dates for this summer & fall, so if you get a chance, go hear this music! You are lucky to be alive at the same time as Brian Wilson and have the chance to experience his music!

http://www.brianwilson.com/tour/

No comments: