25 December 2009

Tivo Sucks!

Maria Brooks: Thank you for contacting TiVo! My name is Maria Brooks. So that I may better assist you, are you an existing customer?
eggmaster: yes, I am an existing customer.
Maria Brooks: Thank you! In order to verify your identity, can you please provide the following account information?:

* address
* phone number
eggmaster: I have just updated it on the website, and the current values are:
eggmaster: [redacted]
eggmaster: [redacted]
Maria Brooks: Thank you for verifying your information, [redacted]. How may I assist you today?
eggmaster: my question is about HD tivos. I do not get HD service from my cable provider, but
eggmaster: I notice that some programs appear to be coming "down the wire" with a wide-screen aspect ratio. Consequently,
eggmaster: when I view some recorded programs, the right and left sides of the image are cropped off.
eggmaster: Do I need to upgrade to an HD tivo unit to correct this problem?
Maria Brooks: That's a good question. I'll do some research on that. This will take 2-3 minutes.
eggmaster: thank you.
Maria Brooks: You're welcome!
eggmaster: There are some settings in the tivo menus that pertain to aspect ratios, but they don't seem to correct the issue.
Maria Brooks: Is this happening with specific channels or just certain shows?
eggmaster: I'm not sure.
eggmaster: However, it appears to happen with every show on channel 2, and at least one show on another channel. But it does not occur with every show on every channel.
eggmaster: That is to say, there are shows that appear as desired.
Maria Brooks: Still researching...
eggmaster: Sure, take your time.
Maria Brooks: Do you have any of these programs currently saved on the TiVo?
eggmaster: Yes.
Maria Brooks: I'm checking your lineup information. A few more minutes, please.
Maria Brooks: I've noticed a problem with the way that you have your TiVo set up to work with your cable provider. However, I'm not sure if the problem that your having with your recordings is related.
eggmaster: ok.
Maria Brooks: What I do know for sure is that if the TiVo is not set up properly, I won't be able to properly diagnose the recording trouble.
eggmaster: I see. Well, let me know what to do.
Maria Brooks: I see that you are using your TiVo as a dual tuner. Your lineup report tells me that you subscribe to Comcast.
eggmaster: yes.
Maria Brooks: Unfortunately, because Comcast is on an all digital lineup now, the TiVo can no longer be used as a dual tuner.
Maria Brooks: You'll need to repeat your Guided Set Up and tell the TiVo that it is now going to function as a single tuner.
eggmaster: Well, is there a different Tivo model that is more compatible with the type of service that Comcast provides?
eggmaster: I am not opposed to buying a new unit if it will provide better functionality.
eggmaster: I presume that my existing Tivo service is transferable between units somehow.
Maria Brooks: This means you will no longer have the ability to record one show and watch another at the same time. Also, you will not be able to record two programs at once.
eggmaster: That is highly annoying.
Maria Brooks: Our HD TiVo
Maria Brooks: Our HD TiVo's are the only unit that will give you dual tuning capability with an all digital lineup.
eggmaster: Is there some kind of trade-up available? Or would I just have to buy a new one?
Maria Brooks: You are correct with your assumption that the service that you have on the current box will transfer over to the new box.
Maria Brooks: We don't have a trade in program, you'll need to purchase a new box if the dual tuning feature is something you need.
eggmaster: That's a shame. I am not a satisfied customer.
Maria Brooks: Oh no! What can I do to fix that?
eggmaster: Well, I purchased this unit with the understanding that it was a dual tuning unit, and the person at Best Buy even told me to buy this one specifically to work with comcast. Now, because of circumstances beyond my control, my service has degraded substantially. My dad was able to purchase an HD tivo and return his old one for a refund. I'm not sure why this option is not available for me.
Maria Brooks: Where did your Dad get his TiVo from?
eggmaster: I don't recall. And it's been some time since he made the exchange. But my recollection is that he did it directly through Tivo.
eggmaster: I don't know what Best Buy's policy is on this, but I'm doubtful that they will be helpful.
Maria Brooks: Did you get your box at Best Buy?
eggmaster: Yes, I did.
eggmaster: This was back in June, though, so whatever return period I had has no doubt expired.
Maria Brooks: That's going to limit my ability to get you any kind of refund on the equipment. I can certainly understand how frustrated you are!
Maria Brooks: I recommend trying to sell the box on ebay or craiglist and putting the money towards a new box.
eggmaster: Had I known that buying it from a reseller would limit my ability to get customer service from Tivo, I would have purchased it directly from Tivo.
eggmaster: In which case, I'm not sure why you do your future customers the disservice of selling through resellers.
eggmaster: Very disappointing. Tivo--.
You have disconnected.

No comments: